|Info Services >> Conference Services >> Facilities >>|
Facilities with a bit of history....
The present Seminary building opened on September 29th, 1926. It is located on the banks of the Thames River, and is surrounded by a campus of twenty-five acres providing for sports and relaxation in a green, park-like atmosphere.
The Seminary is ideally situated within the complex of King's University College and the University of Western Ontario, allowing students a wide selection of courses and a broad association in university circles.
The building is constructed of Credit Valley stone, and is designed in the Collegiate Gothic style.
The Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas, one of the finest works of collegiate architecture in the country, was dedicated on June 18th, 1930. A new wing was added in 1957 to provide an auditorium and expand the library and recreational facilities. In 1968 the Chapel was renovated to reflect the liturgical directives of the Second Vatican Council.
The interior of the Seminary was extensively renovated in 1970, and in a major construction program during 1983. The Library was doubled in size, and the main floor of the building was changed considerably to provide better facilities.
In 1987 St. Peter's Seminary purchased the St. Thomas Scholasticate located on the Seminary's grounds. This had been the house of formation for students of the Congregation of the Resurrection until their move to Toronto in 1981.
A complete renovation of the house was undertaken and the newly-named Aquinas House was blessed and opened by Most Reverend John M. Sherlock, DD, Ninth Bishop of London on October 27, 1991.
For seven years Aquinas House served as the residence for transitional deacons in the formation programme. It now functions as a residence facility for workshops in formation, summer institutes, retreats and other programs of formation for ministry.
Mr. Dennis Matthews, Manager of Physical Plant and Facilities (Part-Time) - 519-432-1824, Ext. 228