|Institute >> Youth Ministry >> Ycf >>|
Youth Commission Formation
What is a Parish Youth Commission?
A youth commission is an instrument of visioning and planning for effective outreach and ministry to, with, by and for young people and their families. A youth commission discerns, prioritizes and plans a parish's response to the needs of youth and their families. A group of 10 to 12 adults and senior high school students works together to identify and prioritize needs, determine ministry responses, promote and plan a youth ministry calendar; recruit, support and celebrate volunteer youth ministers; and evaluate programming.
What are the goals of these formation sessions?
1. To assist the commission with group formation and team building
2. To provide tools for facilitating prayer and faith sharing
3. To provide tools to structure and faciliate meetings
4. To name the Diocesan Vision of Youth Ministry and reflect on the identity of the young people
in the parish
5. To provide a process through which to identify needs and develop goals
6. To guide the commission in visioning and macro planning of parish youth ministry
7. To identify partners in the work of youth ministry - families, schools and community
What is the format of the formation experience?
The Institue for Catholic Formation provides facilitation for a Friday evening/Saturday session, and a follow-up session six to eight weeks later.
What is the cost?
Youth Commission Formation is provided at a cost of $700.00 per parish. The entire formation package includes:
- pre and post formation session support contacts
- faciltator and content of the presentation
- tools for structuring productive meetings
- tools for evaluation, assessment of needs, goal setting and prioritizing
- refreshments for all sessions and Saturday lunch for all commission memebers
For more information or to register your Parish Youth Commission for these sessions, contact by phone or email:
Jean Beneteau, Youth Ministry Formation Specialist: 519-432-1824 ext. 286 / firstname.lastname@example.org or
Christine Gilmore, Administrative Assistant: 519-432-1824 ext-282 / email@example.com
Call toll free: 1-888-548-9649 - ask for ext. 286