|Library >> Information >> Ap Mahoney >>|
- Off-Campus Access
Rev. Msgr. A. P. Mahoney (1889-1985)
Andrew Parnell Mahoney was born in Dresden, Ontario, on May 5, 1889 and ordained to the priesthood on June 6, 1914. Six years later, he was appointed professor of Sacred Scripture at St. Peter's Seminary and became Rector four years after that. In 1932, Pius XI conferred upon him the title of Monsignor and named him Domestic Prelate. In 1947, he was honoured with the highest rank of Monsignor in the Church when Pius XII named him Protonotary Apostolic.
Monsignor had a long association with The University of Western Ontario. He was appointed to the Senate in 1920 and was on its executive as well as the board of the Western Ontario Conservatory of Music until 1966. He was awarded a Doctor of Laws from the University in 1955, on which occasion he was commended as one of London's outstanding educationalists.
In 1966, Monsignor retired after 46 years of service to the Seminary and the University. On September 13th of that year, Alumni of St. Peter's from Canada and the United States gathered at the Seminary to witness the "end of an era" and to pay tribute to their former rector.
The A.P. Mahoney Library was officially opened with a dedication ceremony in 1984 following the 1983 construction of the new site. It was at this time that the Library was re-named in honour of A.P. Mahoney, who was present for the celebrations. He was 95 years old at the time and very honoured to have the Library take his name.